INTENT TO EMPLOY
POSITION: PART-TIME ADULT EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
(Continued employment contingent upon funding)
- Earned bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution required.
- Two (2) years teaching experience preferred.
- Teaching experience in adult education at a postsecondary institution preferred.
- Excellent oral, auditory, and written communication skills required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, and other employees required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student information required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of multi-media, instructional technology required.
- An understanding of and commitment to the philosophy and mission of a technical college.
- A sensitivity and commitment to cultural diversity.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks and various situations in a calm, professional manner.
- A commitment to teaching and learning, particularly where adult students and non-traditional students are involved.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Adult Education Instructor shall perform the duties as specified in conformity with policies established by the Alabama State Board of Education and the J. F. Drake State Technical College Faculty/Staff Handbook.
- Maintains a high level of competence and expertise in the area of Adult Education.
- Provides classroom instruction in accordance with approved state requirements.
- Informs students concerning course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance requirements, and academic progress.
- Provides for effective evaluation of the learning experience of each student.
- Submits timely and accurate Adult Education National Reporting System (NRS) records.
- Demonstrates effective people skills, communication skills, and work ethic (i.e., preparation and
- Assists students with educational and career decisions.
- Researches “best practices” in Adult Education and disseminate the information to AE program faculty and staff.
- Performs duties at alternate sites within the College’s Adult Education Service area when needed.
- Performs duties related to program orientation sessions including assessment and class assignments.
- Retain and submit documentation as requested to support accreditation efforts
- Assumes other work related responsibilities as assigned by the Adult Education Director, Dean of Instruction and/or President.
SALARY: Schedule L, not more than 19 hours per week.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and must submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for this position. Complete application files should be delivered to the Human Resources Office and will be submitted by Human Resources to the Director of Adult Education on a continuous basis and will remain active for available positions. Available positions are contingent upon enrollment and the instructional needs of the program. Incomplete packets will not be considered.
A complete application packet includes:
- A completed DSTC application.
- Current resume.
- Official and sealed transcripts from all institutions where collegiate credit has been earned.
- Three current and signed letters of recommendations relevant to the position. Letters should be dated within the past three years, printed on letterhead of signer’s organization, and have an actual signature (no computer generated signatures). One letter must be from a current or former supervisor which verifies required experience.
J. F. Drake State Technical College employment forms are available online at http://www.drakestate.edu or in the Office of Human Resources. The completed application packet should be returned to:
J. F. Drake State Technical College
Attn: Office of Human Resources
3421 Meridian Street, North
Huntsville, AL 35811
Applicants must adhere to the College’s prescribed interview schedule and must travel at his/her own expense. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification for the criminal background check. J.F. Drake State Technical College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify electronically confirms an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security.
J. F. Drake State Technical College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education, including postsecondary institutions under the control of the State Board of Education, that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, handicap, gender, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. J. F. Drake State Technical College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. The college reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to awarding.