INTENT TO EMPLOY
POSITION: STAFF SECRETARY
- Minimum of an Associate's degree in Office/Secretarial Administration from a regionally accredited institution or three years of documented successful secretarial work experience required.
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Excellent oral, auditory, and written communication skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills required.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks required.
- Ability to proofread work for accuracy required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, other employees, and the public required.
- Knowledge of advanced word processing, spreadsheet, database software, and other current computer software applications required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of office information required.
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate through their experiences and accomplishments:
- An understanding of and a commitment to the philosophy and mission of a community and technical college.
- A sensitivity and commitment to cultural diversity.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and various situations in a calm, professional manner.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Staff Secretary will adhere to the general guidelines as specified by the Alabama State Board of Education and the J. F. Drake State Technical College Faculty and Staff Handbook.
- Provide clerical support for the office staff.
- Receive and handle communications, including electronic communications, correspondence and telephone calls.
- Manage affairs in the assigned office(s) in an effective and professional manner.
- Compose letters, memorandums, and other correspondence.
- Schedule and arrange all appointments, meetings and travel plans.
- Maintain a comprehensive filing system of all student files.
- File and maintain documents of a confidential nature.
- Serve on college committees as requested.
- Assist the assigned office(s) in implementing strategies to ensure accuracy, quality, and effectiveness in data collection, evaluation, and dissemination.
- Supervise other clerical staff.
- Order and maintain supplies.
- Retain and submit documentation as requested to support accreditation efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor and/or President.
Appropriate placement on Alabama State Salary Schedule E-5 Grade 07
Salary range $22,678 - $36,079
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and must submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for this position. Applicants who fail to submit all required documents by the deadline listed below will not be considered. A complete application packet includes:
- A complete and signed DSTC application.
- Current resume.
- Official and sealed transcripts from all institutions from which any collegiate credit has been earned. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application packet; however, any applicant making the second round of interviews and still missing "official transcripts", will not be interviewed by the President. The application packet will be considered incomplete and the applicant will be disqualified.
- Three signed letters of recommendation relevant to the position. Letters should be dated within the past three years, printed on letterhead of the signer’s organization, and have an actual signature (no computer generated signatures). One leter must be from a current or former supervisor which verifies required experience. Reference letters must be from different individuals than the three names listed in the "reference" section of the application.
J. F. Drake State Technical College employment forms are available online at (www.drakestate.edu) or from the Office of Human Resources. The completed application packet should be returned to:
J.F. Drake State Technical College
Attn: Office of Human Resources
3421 Meridian Street, North
Huntsville, Alabama 35811
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.
ANTICIPATED STARTING DATE: June, 2013
Applicants must adhere to the College's prescribed interview schedule and must travel at his/her own expense. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from the criminal background check. J. F. Drake State Technical College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify electronically confirms an employee's eligibility to work in the United States as required by th Department of Homeland Security.
J. F. Drake State Technical College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education, including postsecondary institutions under the control of the State Board of Education, that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, handicap, gender, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. J. F. Drake State Technical College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. The college reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to awarding.