INTENT TO EMPLOY
POSITION: STUDENT COACH (Multiple Part-Time Positions)
(Position Contingent upon Continuation of Grant)
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution required.
- Must be a graduate student in the related fields: Psychology, Human Development, Social Work, or Education required.
- Three (3) years documented experience in education or community activities involving high school or college students required.
- Academic advising related experience preferred.
- Experience with retention programs preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, other employees, and the public required.
- Ability to make presentations to students required.
- Excellent computer skills to include Excel and Power Point required.
- Demonstrated exceptional listening, verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills required.
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate through their experiences and accomplishments:
- An understanding of and commitment to the philosophy and mission of a community and technical college.
- A sensitivity and commitment to cultural diversity.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks and various situations in a calm and professional manner.
- A commitment to teaching and learning, where recent high school graduates, adult students, and non-traditional students are involved.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Student Coaches shall perform the duties as specified in conformity with policies established by the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees and the J. F. Drake State Community and Technical College Faculty and Staff Handbook.
- Provide one-on-one guidance, career coaching, tutoring and academic coaching with emphasis on assisting students to become self-reliant in dealing with challenges that discourage students from continuing their studies.
- Develop and facilitate activities that help students develop good study habits.
- Provide information related to personal financial management, coping skills, networking, team building, and personal self-confidence.
- Advise and assist students regarding program admission and completion requirements.
- Perform a wide range of internal and external outreach activities to ensure students take full advantage of student coaching.
- Identify and implement new programs and outreach activities to attract prospective students.
- Assist in the development of new program materials.
- Visit area high schools, churches, secondary schools, and community-based organizations to promote the college.
- Maintain coaching tools and equipment.
- Coordinate with career coaches and assist in planning and executing outreach activities.
- Assist other college personnel in developing, organizing, and sustaining retention initiatives.
- Track student coaching, retention, graduation, and grade point averages for project evaluations and annual reports.
- Participate fully in institutional planning and assist in carrying out the overall mission of the College.
- Submit reports to supervisor as requested.
- Retain and submit documentation as requested to support accreditation efforts.
- Assume other work-related responsibilities as assigned by supervisor, Dean of Instructional and Student Support Services, and/or the President.
SALARY: $20.00 per hour (Restricted to 19 hours per week to retain their part-time status)
This position is responsible to the supervisor, Dean of Instructional and Student Support Services, and/or the President.
YOUR APPLICATION PACKET SHOULD INCLUDE:
- A completed and signed DSCTC application.
- Current resume.
- Official transcripts for the required degree and higher (unofficial copies will be accepted before the closing deadline but official transcripts must be on file before an offer of employment). Transcripts must include conferred or awarded date.
- One signed letter of recommendation. Letters dated within the past three years, or letters without a date, are acceptable.
All applicants must have on file a completed application packet by the deadline date. From all the applications received, a screening committee will select the applicants to be interviewed. Interviews will be by appointment only. Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in written English as part of the on-campus interview process. All applicants must adhere to the College’s prescribed interview schedule and must travel at his/her own expense. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from the criminal background check. J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify electronically confirms an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security. Verification of Employment letters will be required after an offer of employment has been made. Verification letters must include the applicant’s beginning and ending dates of employment, employment title, and indicate if the employment was full or part time. Part-time employment verifications must state the number of hours worked per week. This information is required within fifteen (15) working days of acceptance of an employment offer.
J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of the Alabama Community College System, including all postsecondary community and technical colleges under the control of the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees, that no employee or applicant for employment or promotion, on the basis of any impermissible criterion or characteristic including, without limitation, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, disability, sex, age, or any other protected class as defined by federal and state law, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. The College reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to awarding. J.F. Drake State Community and Technical College compiles information about safety and security and publishes an annual report. This report can be found on the website by accessing the crime and safety report link. The link can be found on the Drake State home page by clicking on the “About Us” tab and then selecting the “Campus Security Report” link. A copy can also be obtained by contacting the Director of Operations at 256-551-7268.