Counseling at the College is conducted through a series of optional counseling sessions available on an “as needed” basis. The sessions are designed to ensure that all students have sufficient contact with a counselor to make their progress through the instructional program successful.
The goal of the counseling program is to help each student identify and progress through a set of educational opportunities relevant to individual aptitudes, knowledge, skills and interests and offer incentives commensurate with the student’s motivation and achievement.
The objectives of counseling and tutoring services are:
- To challenge students to become introspective
- To encourage students to make rewarding decisions
- To help students develop positive self-images
- To inspire in students a desire to maximize their potential, as rapidly as possible, in the process of reaching their educational or lifelong goals
- To urge students to make decisions that will capitalize on their assets
- To help students cope with reality
- To guide students in their vocational choices and adjustments
- To assist students with academic problems
- To counsel students concerning personal problems
COUNSELING AND ADVISING
J. F. Drake State Technical College provides academic counseling to assist students with:
While the instructor serves as the students’ primary advisor, the college counselor provides supplemental services as requested.
Also see the Tutorial Services and Job Placement
Counseling Services Manual
Coping with stress
Surviving as a single parent
How to deal with grief
Protect the ones you love
Test your stress quiz: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/stress-smarts.aspx
Communicating with your child: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/communication-parents.aspx
Nine tasks for a healthy marriage: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/marriage.aspx